The Dragon Café runs with the dedicated support of around 50 Volunteers each week. We aim to give all our Volunteers a supportive and satisfying experience of working in a creative environment.
No particular experience is required. A willingness to learn is the main thing.
We offer a range of roles which may be new to you or which may build on your existing skills, whichever you prefer. These roles include:
Mondays only – remember, we are only open on Mondays!
• Providing a warm welcome on reception
• Meeting and greeting new Patrons
• Setting up our creative areas
• Packing away our creative spaces
• Assisting in the Art Area
• Serving delicious food and drinks from our friendly vegetarian kitchen
• Learning technical support in lighting, sound and stage management
• Overseeing our information table
• Keeping the creative show on the road as a Creative Volunteer
Most shifts are around 4 hours long and take place between 8 am – 9.30 pm.
As a Volunteer we will give you:
• Your very own bespoke Dragon Cafe T Shirt
• On-the-job training
• Free food and drinks from our delicious kitchen
• Reimburse your travel expenses up to £10 per day – you must provide full receipts
• Two free bespoke training days covering the essentials plus our mindful working ethos, roles and boundaries
In this way, we aim to build a happy and effective Volunteer team who can support The Dragon Café and who can use the experience to assist their onward journey through life.
If you or someone you know is interested in Volunteering with us then come to The Dragon Cafe any Monday for 1 pm and ask to speak to Lu (please be on time). No need to book, just turn up on the day. We will give you all the forms you need in person.
We don’t interview potential Volunteers as such. We prefer to engage in a friendly chat and the whole process shouldn’t take more than half an hour. This should also give you the chance to ask any questions you may have. Even the Volunteer Application form is designed to be simple and quick to fill in and in most cases people are Volunteering with us within a week of popping in.
If you have any further questions then contact:
Lu Firth, Volunteer Lead